Saturday, March 14, 2009

Internet - The Old and The New

Keep those cards and comix coming. I've gotten a lot of them, so it is working.
Monday we will look at the "NEW" web, also called Web 2.0. It's different than the old familiar web that we all know and use. The traditional web is what might be called 'read-only". It contains a lot of sites where information is stored, as well as tools, such as search sites, to allow access to that information. People using the "old" web work independently. It also provides communication in the form of email, chat rooms, discussion forums, etc.
Web 2.0, the "new' web, is regarded as the read-write web. Blogs, wikis, and feed readers are some of the new applications. They allow people to work collaboratively to create new information for the web, and to share this information with users world-wide. Communication can be constant and ongoing. New communication tools include blogs, Flicker, Twitter, etc. The new web has the potential to dramatically change how we create and deliver educational content.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
I am enjoying working on my project. Linda and I are using a new web-site we learned in class (yahooligans). I have learned so much so far. Now I just have to make time to research and use these sites so I don't forget what I am doing.
Thanks for all your help!
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Lauren and I appreciate your assistance finding a good website for our research project for our animal unit. Our first grade classes will use Yahooligans!.com
Thank you so very much! I'm really learning a lot!!

Anonymous said...

Lauren and I appreciate your assistance finding a good website for our research project for our animal unit. Our first grade classes will use Yahooligans!.com
Thank you so very much! I'm really learning a lot!!