Monday, November 8, 2010

Portals - Pop Culture

A portal is a collection of related activities or information on one web site. One that you might want to check is Professor Garfield. It's designed for kids, K-6. Included are fun activities related to reading, math and science as well as music and art. It also provides tools for students to create a comic strip and/or a graphic novel. Haven't used it a lot but it seems well designed.
I'm beginning to notice a number of sites that offer links to what I'd call "pop" culture. If you are interested in exploring the integration of popular culture with school, I would also recommend Making Curriculum Pop, a site which facilitates teachers discussion on a variety of "pop" topics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Monday is almost over!
Jess :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am quite tired but still looking forward to the class this evening. If I start nodding off, just give me a nudge.:)

Lynda

Anonymous said...

comment mary

Anonymous said...

The Professor Garfield is interesting and looks fun, especially the comic lab to make comic strips!
-Maria